Both Emily Bronte and Jane Austen wrote very thought provoking novels that entrance the minds of the masses to this day. However, I must admit that I prefer Austen's Pride and Prejudice over Bronte's Wuthering Heights. While I find the style of writing in Wuthering Heights unique and interesting, I just do not like the story as much. I think we should study Pride and Prejudice for several reasons. The first of which being that Austen was so unlike any other author of her time. She criticized and satirized her society and people such as Charlotte Bronte and Mark Twain criticized her for her, so the fact that she was brave enough to right a novel that went so against the times is a reason in itself to read the book. For another, in the novel there is a strong heroine, and as women we can all appreciate that, and there is not one in Wuthering Heights. There is also the fact that it is a great love story. Another reason is how Austen reveals the motives and attitudes of the people in her society which gives us an insight to the time period. Wuthering Heights presents the darker aspects of society and seems to focus on them, while Pride and Prejudice focuses on the more uplifting parts of society- including sarcasm, love, and defiance, with only a small amount of angst. Overall, I feel that Pride and Prejudice is the more interesting book and presents a larger opportunity to learn about the past than Wuthering Heights.
Word Count: 257
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Grayce,
My favorite part of your argument is the claim that "she was brave enough to write a novel that went so against the times." Wow! You could do so much with this - make it your thesis and then talk about how this is such a valuable discussion to have in the classroom, especially one full of young women. That last sentence is interesting too - maybe say more about the "opportunity to learn about the past" with P and P versus WH. Nice job.
Mrs. G
Post a Comment