August 12, 2008

C. Segal's final Argument

Bronte’s Wuthering Heights and Austen’s Pride and Prejudice are both outstanding novels and timeless favorites. I am so glad that we were forced to read these classics, or I’m sad to say, I may never have been able to experience them. When asked to answer this question, I without a doubt would love to study Wuthering Heights in the classroom. The complexity of this novel far surpasses that of Pride and Prejudice, where the plot, characters, and relationships are pretty simple and easy to understand. The shift of narrators and tone of voice, in WH, makes it more challenging to follow. I would love to go into more depth with all the characters, and the reasons for the unique behaviors and feelings. In PP, Austen is making fun of the small-minded society, so the situations are not complex. Never have I experienced a relationship like that of Catherine and Heathcliff. Their situation is so intricate, and it is really left up to the reader whether to love or hate it. Also, all the characters, setting, and situations tie into one. Wuthering Heights shows that love does not always provide happiness, like Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy’s love. However, love is the redeeming quality in Catherine and Heathcliff’s tragic relationship. While both authors offer so much wisdom for the reader, Bronte’s work requires reading many times to fully grasps all the messages in Wuthering Heights. I truly hope we study this in class, so I can fully benefit from the novel.

1 comment:

C. Goodman said...

Carrie,
The heart of your argument - and a very valid one - is the complexity of WH as compared to P and P. You need to state this earlier in the post as your thesis and then develop it with your specific details. I also like that you mention that "love does not always provide happiness" and that this is a good thing for teenage girls to study; that, by itself, makes another strong claim as to why we should study it in class. Good work.
Mrs. G