August 12, 2008

Final Argument- Sarah Castle

There are many different reasons as to why we should read Jane Austen’s novel Pride and Prejudice. When many people hear the name Pride and Prejudice, a romance novel is what usually comes to mind but truly Pride and Prejudice is much more than just a love story. First of all Jane Austen was able to write a novel that basically criticizes the belief that many Americans have that class and wealth are everything in a marriage and have her novel become a best-seller. Personally I think it would be fun to read this novel because there are several similarities to Jane Austen’s depiction of the 1800’s and today’s society. Jane Austen also had a very different style of writing than other writes during her time period which I believe would be fun to learn about. One of the things I really enjoyed about Pride and Prejudice is that instead of the usual masculine hero Jane Austen writes about feminine heroines. After reading both “Wuthering Heights” and “Pride and Prejudice” I would much rather study “Pride and Prejudice” because although I did enjoy “Wuthering Heights” it seemed as though it was just another one of those summer novels we had to read whereas “Pride and Prejudice” sort of jumped out at me. Reading “Pride and Prejudice” would not only be a fun topic to start the school year off with but would also be very educational.

1 comment:

C. Goodman said...

Sarah,
The strongest part of your argument is the connection between P and P and today's society; I would have liked you to do more with this idea by providing detail. I also like that you mention Bronte's use of the feminine hero - that 's a good argument for study in an all-girl classroom. My biggest problem is with your statement that WH "seemed as though it was just another one of those summer novels we had to read." This statement needs clarification and doesn't add much to your claims. Overall, good job.
Mrs. G